Curriculum Vitae: Prof. dr. Gorazd Kandus
- Sc., Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Ljubljana, 1971, (Prešeren prize),
- Sc., Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Ljubljana, 1974,
- D., Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Ljubljana, 1991.
- 1971-1974: Institute of Transportation, Research work: Development of mathematical model of railway network and programming of software package for empty freight car allocation,
- 1975-1979: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ljubljana, Teaching assistant for Optimization methods and Operations research,
- 1979 to date: Institute Jožef Stefan, Ljubljana,
- 1993-2010: Head of Department of communication systems at IJS,
- 2011 to date: Head of Communications Technology Laboratory at IJS,
- 2004 to 2010: Faculty for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Maribor, Part time employment.
Academic and scientific titles:
- Scientific councillor at Jožef Stefan Institute,
- Full professor at University of Maribor.
- 1978/79: 1 year, Fulbright Grant, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA,
- 1993: 3-months, Grant, Commission of the European Communities Fellowship, University of Karlsruhe, Germany,
- 1995 2-months, Grant, Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst, Forschungszentrum Informatik, Karlsruhe, Germany,
- 1999 2-months, Grant, Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst, Institute of Communications and Navigation, German Aerospace Center (DLR), Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany.
National research projects:
- 2011-2014, J2-4197, Advanced procedures for interactive composition of sensor networks,
- 2008-2011, L2-1109, Multi-antenna systems for mobile WiMAX,
- 2006-2008, M2-0130, Design of advanced digital mobile system TETRA for Ministry of Defence,
- 2004-2007, L2-6547, Broadband wireless access networks,
- 2004-2006, M2-0026, Professional mobile communication system for Ministry of Defence,
- 2003-2004, Z2-5384, Adaptive routing in satellite networks,
- 1999-2001, L2-1626, Universal mobile telecommunications system,
- 1997-1999, J2-8695, Telecommunication systems,
- 1997-1998, L2-9061, Wireless digital telecommunication systems in transportation systems,
- 1996-1998, L2-7670, Universal mobile telecommunications system.
National research program:
- 1999-2014, P2-0016, Telecommunication systems.
National R&D projects:
- New software architecture design for PABX SI2000/V5, Iskratel,
- Development of radio-reley systems DRS 2/8/34, Iskra Transmission,
- Global modernization plan of telecommunications Infrastructure and services in Slovenia, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Transport and Communications,
- Security and interoperability in Slovene health insurance card system, HIIS – The Health Insurance Institute of Slovenia,
- Design of telecommunication network at highways in Slovenia, DARS,
- Compression and transmission of video signals, Iskra Transmission,
- Development of a simulation model of IskraTEL internal network; Iskratel,
- Conceptual solutions for wireless communications at the airport Brnik; Iskra Sistemi,
- Wireless communication platform, Iskra Sistemi,
- Fixed mobile convergence, Telekom Slovenije,
- Provision of Broadband wireless accees services onboard train; Mobitel,
- Uninterrupted provision of communication services in emergency situations; Telekom Slovenije,
- Hardware and software tool for signal level measurement of public protection and disaster relief wireless communication systems; MORS URSZR,
- WiMAX network design and and pico Wimax base station development,
- development of modules for radio signal calculation, Mobitel.
National Centres of Excellence and Competence Centres:
- CO ICT, Centre of Excellence in ICT: project RR4, Protocols and service integration in converged NGN systems, project leader,
- CO BIK, Centre of Excellence for Biosensors, Instrumentation and Process Control. member of Council,
- CO SPACE-SI, Centre of Excellence for Space Sciences and Technologies, member,
- KC OPCOMM, Competence centre Open Communication platform for integrated services, member of Strategic council.
International R&D projects:
- COST 227 Action “Integrated Space/Terrestrial Mobile Networks”,
- COST 231 Action “Evolution of Land Mobile Radio (Including Personal) Communications”,
- COST 252 Action: “Evolution of Satellite Personal Communications from 2nd to Future Generation Systems”,
- COST 253 Action: “Service-Efficient Network Interconnection via Satellites”,
- COST 259 Action: “Wireless Flexible Personalized Communications”,
- COST 272 Action: “Packet-oriented Service Delivery Via Satellite”,
- COST 273 Action: “Towards Mobile Broadband Multimedia Networks”,
- COST 279 Action: “Analysis and Design of Advanced Multiservice Networks Supporting Mobility, Multimedia and Internetworking”,
- COST 290 Action: “Quality of Service in Future Wireless Systems”,
- COST IC0802 Action: “Propagation tools and data for integrated Telecommunication, Navigation and Earth Observation systems”,
- COST IC1101 Action: “Optical Wireless Communications – An Emerging Technology”,
- ALIS No. 65 project: “Integrated Dynamic Resource Control for QoS Provisioning in Multimedia Wireless Networks”,
- Slovene-Croatian project: “Introduction of New Telematic Services”,
- Slovene-Croatian project: “Environmental Protection and Telecommunications”,
- ERO project “UMTS“, European Radiocommunication Office,
- AMS DECT RF-IF part simulation; Austria Mikro Systeme International,
- REMUS feasibility study, Austria Mikro Systeme International,
- COPERNICUS COP-708 project: “Advanced Transmission and Network Management Techniques in Integrated Satellite/Terrestrial Mobile Systems”,
- COPERNICUS project: “NETLINK-CEE: Transfer of EU Experience in Healthcards into the CEE Countries under the Auspices of the NETLINK Project”,
- HELINET (5FP-IST-1999-11214) “Network of Stratospheric Platforms for Traffic Monitoring, Environmental Surveillance and Broadband Services“ 1999-2003,
- CAPANINA (FP6-IST-2003-506745), “Communications from Aerial Platform Networks delivering Broadband Communications for All”, 2004-2007,
- SatNEx (FP6-IST-2003-506745), “Satellite Communications Network of Excellence”, 2004-2006,
- SatNEx-II (FP6-IST-027393), “Satellite Communications Network of Excellence – Phase II”. 2006-2009,
- AgroSense (FP7-REGPOT-2007-3204472): “Wireless Sensor Networks and Remote Sensing Foundation of a modern agricultural infrastructure in the region”,
- Duration: 2008 – 2011,
- BalkanGEONet (FP7-ENV-2010265176): “Balkan GEO Network – Towards Inclusion of Balkan Countries into Global Earth Observation Initiatives”, 2010 – 2013,
- PlanetData (FP7-ICT-2009-5257641): “PlanetData”; Network of Excellence, 2010 – 2014;
- CREW (FP7-ICT-2009-5258301): “Cognitive Radio Experimentation World – Enlarged EU”, 2011 – 2015,
- ABSOLUTE (FP7-ICT-2011-287804): “Aerial Base Stations with Opportunistic Links for Unexpected & Temporary Events”, 2012 – 2015,
- CITI-SENSE (FP7-ENV-2012-308524): “Development of sensor based Citizens’ Observatory Community for improving quality of life in cities”, 2012 – 2016,
- SUNSEED (FP7-ICT-2013-619437): “Sustainable and robust networking for smart electricity distribution”, 2014 – 2017,
- ESA/ESTEC Contract No. 4000104510/11/NL/KML: “Ka/Q-band Propagation Measurements and Modeling for the Design of Prediction and Impairment Mitigation Techniques – SatProSi “, 2011-2014,
- ESA/ESTEC Contract No. 4000111927/14/NL/NDe: “Ka/Q-band Propagation Measurements and Modelling – Slovenian Contribution to the Alphasat TDP#5 Scientific Mission – SatProSi-Alpha”, 2014-2016.
- IEEE Senior Member,
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon, Honor Society in the Computing Sciences, Member,
- Electrical Society of Slovenia, Member,
- Simulation and Modelling Society of Slovenia,
- Technology Network ICT,
- SIKOM, Slovene Society for electronic communications.
Participation in working and expert groups (past and present):
- Chairman of the Intersectorial Governmental Working Group, Telecommunications Infrastructure and Services in Slovenia,
- External Expert on UMTS, satellite component, European Radiocommunication Office, Copenhagen,
- Expert for evaluation of 5FP IST Action Line IV.5 proposals, EC, Brussels,
- Member of the Governmental Commissions for the granting of a Concession for using GSM, DCS1800, UMTS and WiMAX Frequency Spectrum and Services in Slovenia,
- Member of ETSI RES/TC 2 (DECT),
- Member of TETRA WG4, ETSI, Sophia-Antipolis,
- Representative of EU TP ISI (the Integral Satcom Initiative),
- Representative of EU TP eMobility (the Mobile and Wireless Communications),
- Member of Governmental Council for electronic communications,
- Member of Scientific Council, responsible for Telecommunications, Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology,
- Member of TC MOC Mobile Communications, Slovenian Institute for Standardization,
- Member of IJS Scientific Council,
- Member of IJS Commission for intellectual property,
- Member of IJS Commission for awards.
- 77 scientific articles,
- 178 scientific contributions published in conference proceedings,
- 13 monographs and parts in a monograph,
- 170 surveys and research reports,
- 18 invited lectures at conferences and foreign universities,
- 2 US and 2 SI patents,
- WoS/Scopus pure citations: 98/325
- h-index: 9.
Updated list of all publications is available at:
Description of participation in selected projects:
- FP6 project SatNEx I and II (Satellite Communications Network of Excellence):
Within the FP6 project SatNEx we participated in the investigation of a hybrid stratospheric satellite communication system. We studied adaptive modulation procedures. In particular, we developed new advanced iterative decoding algorithms for FSO systems. We also contributed to the development of communication system for public protection and disaster relief, potentially deployed in remote and damaged areas in the case of emergency situations.
- CRP project »Professional mobile communication system for Ministry of Defence«:
In the project we implemented pilot network TETRA, where we tested basic voice and data services. In the second phase, we developed new applications for MoD TETRA network including GIS, WAP, AVL, paging and telemetry. We connected also TETRA network with PSTN network and with internet.
- Project »Development of modules for radio coverage calculation in an open-source environment«:
For Slovene mobile operator Mobitel we developed an open-source system, based on GRASS, which enables free development and improvement of existing mathematical models as well as usage of other modules for data processing. develops new modules for coverage calculation, based on mathematical models such as Okumura-Hata, 9999 model etc. The achievements are useful both for improved planning of GSM/UMTS networks, as well as for scientific purposes, e.g. for development of more exact mathematical models.
- ESA project SatProSi “Ka/Qband Propagation Measurements and Modelling for the Design of Prediction and Impairment Mitigation Techniques”
Within the framework of the ESA SatProSi project we developed a ground station for receiving satellite signals in the 20 GHz frequency band. We designed satellite receiver in SDR technology. It is intended for longterm monitoring of the satellite carrier and modeling of satellite channel. In 2013 we built three receivers, adapted them to receive Alphasat signal and prepared everything ready for site diversity experiment. The receiver is characterized by extremely low price and high performance, which raised the attention of colleagues in the Joanneum Research, who invited us to participate in their ESA project “Data Collection and Processing System for the Alphasat TDP5 Ka Q band propagation experiment”. One JSI receiver is already installed on Hilmwarte tower in Graz.